Belchfire Desktop Themes Home

Welcome to Belchfire Themes... the place for Free Windows XP Themes, Vista Themes, Logons, Wallpaper and other great desktop customizations.

Is that web site safe?, McAfee SiteAdvisor - A great free service!

hamesh
post Aug 20 2008, 11:48 PM
Post #1

Admin
Group Icon
Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

I was searching Yahoo today and looked up my own site to see where I was in the rankings. Top 5, as always :)

I hadn't used Yahoo in some time and something new caught my eye. There was a red icon and text beside some search result listings, warning me that some sites contained 'Dangerous Downloads' and that '3 potentially harmful websites are marked on this page'.

What's this? Has some piece of spyware hijacked my web browser? Thankfully no. In fact, Yahoo has teamed with McAfee to show alerts for potentially harmful web sites right in their search results. What a fantastic idea! I clicked on a few of the alerts to get more info.

McAfee's SearchScan displayed a comprehensive report outlining what testing they have done, the results, a color-coded overall rating, plus user and site owner commends and feedback. My site was clean and Green! But many were not.

Linked within each report page is a link to the McAfee SiteAdvisor browser plugin. I grabbed that for IE (Firefox version also available) and was greeted with a new button on my toolbar that turns Green, Yellow or Red when you visit a site listed in their database, the color indicating the level of risk the site presents. Click the button to get more info, view site report, send feedback, tell and friends and more.

I find that this is a tremendously valuable service and highly recommend it to everyone. There are of course paid upgrade options for the service, but start with the free offering and I think you'll be both impressed and more informed about the sites you visit. I also like the viral component to the service. It's not just some automated McAfee robot that randomly hits sites and applies a rating based on a particular formula. The user comments and feedback allow you to read the experiences of real people. You can then decided yousrelf it you want to continue on to the site or move on to one less un-safe.

Here are some example reports for web sites similar to Belchfire.net, with ours at the bottom. I'll bet once you check the SiteAdvisor reports for these web sites you'll be surprised:

McAfee SiteAdvisor Report: themexp.org
McAfee SiteAdvisor Report: appleblossomart.net
McAfee SiteAdvisor Report: ezskins.com
McAfee SiteAdvisor Report: ezthemes.com
McAfee SiteAdvisor Report: customize.org
McAfee SiteAdvisor Report: wincustomize.com
McAfee SiteAdvisor Report: stardock.com
McAfee SiteAdvisor Report: deviantart.com
McAfee SiteAdvisor Report: tune-up.com - Belchfire Affiliate
McAfee SiteAdvisor Report: belchfire.net - That's Us!

Partnering with McAfee and integrating the SiteAdvisor data into search rankings via SearchScan is a great step forward in helping to protect internet users from potential threats. Sure McAfee is hoping folks will upgrade to a paid version of the service, and Yahoo is undoubtedly trying to increase their search market share by making their search more attractive. But I am very impressed that Yahoo is taking our collective best interests to heart.

McAfee SiteAdvisor is available for Microsoft Internet Explorer and Firefox at http://www.siteadvisor.com.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 1)

chren04
post May 30 2010, 02:41 AM
Post #2

Noob
Group: Members
Member No.: 316,199

Hi to All!!!! I am new member of this site and I want you all to know that I'm happ to be here....Thank you and great job drinks.gif
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version   Privacy Policy   Terms of Use   Advertise
IPB skin developed by: eXtremepixels